Job Title: Youth Services Coordinator
Immediate Supervisor: Assistant Library Director
Position Description: The position manages the Youth Department of the library including development of the library collection, programming, and circulation in accordance with established library policies. This is a part-time position of approximately 21 hours per week. Hours include evenings and weekends, as scheduled.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, designs, prepares and presents programs for youth from birth to age 18 under the supervision of the Assistant Director of the Library.
- Recommends and maintains the collection of appropriate materials for youth suitable to age, interest, reading levels, language and curriculum needs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Assists in promoting youth services and activities through establishment of displays throughout the library.
- Exhibits critical thinking skill that supports a positive and creative approach to problem solving.
- Provides assistance and guidance to library staff members about programs and services being offered.
- Compiles statistical data on events and programs to be included in the monthly library reports.
- Partners with local schools and organizations to provide outreach.
- Operates standard office and library equipment such as computers with Microsoft Office programs, library specific software, copiers, and fax machines.
- Required to work at the Circulation desk when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates exceptional customer service.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to coordinate, present and facilitate effective youth programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills required.
- Ability to work with library databases, youth information websites, and the library’s social media sites.
- Must have an Associate’s Degree in Education and library experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills for this position.
- Experience working with youth preferred.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Able to work with minimum supervision.
- Proactively contributes to a team work environment.
- Ability to speak Spanish is a definite plus.
- Pre-employment Background Screening
- Pre-employment Drug/Alcohol Testing
- ADA Requirements: This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force to constantly move objects, and some heavy work requiring the exertion of 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of work frequently, and up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, reaching, walking, pulling, lifting, and grasping; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications ; visual acuity is required for depth perception, and color perception; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
Pay Rate: $9 – $11 per hour based on qualifications and experience.